Thursday 10 July 2014

Not So Traditional Tools

I was doing a working today and afterwards started thinking about my tools.

My practice is my own. Traditional I guess you would say.  Solitary.  The tools I use are minimal really.  They are simple reflections of my life.  Like the wooden spoons I use to cook our meals.


Wooden Cooking Utensils

I did look at buying an incense burner, cauldron etc when I first started consciously practising, but it didn't feel right for me. I went home not quite empty handed that day - I had a bag of herbal goodies and candles.  Tools though?  Not so much. 

My things weren't made specifically for what I use them for now, but they fit the bill.  And I'm deeply connected to them.

Each was given to me as a gift from my daughter, at different stages in her life.  Items I have kept and cherished.  They are handmade or made from natural material which adds again to the connection I have with them.  They have life.

The holder I use for burning charcoal discs was made for me with her two tiny hands in grade school.  Its a clay garlic keeper she tried to make look like a bulb of garlic.  Its never been good at keeping garlic fresh.  In fact, it had the opposite effect.  I probably love it more for that reason - Moms are like that.  It has always had a place of pride in my kitchen though, these many years.

Garlic Keeper with rock salt for charcoal disc

A few years later, my daughter saved her money and bought me a wooden mortar and pestle.  We never had much money and it was a big deal that she saved what she had to buy me something.  I cried.  Again, Moms are like that.  Now I use it to mix herbs and grind resins.

Wooden Mortar & Pestle

As a grown woman, she bought me a hand made Circle of Elephants.  Its like a Circle of Friends that were popular a few years back, only with elephants.  I love elephants.  Its perfect for my needs.  The small dish in the centre is exactly the right size and shape for any burning I need to do.


Circle of Elephants

Even the paper I use to write workings on was a gift from my precious daughter.  Handmade paper, made from - wait for it - elephant poo.  Yep.  Genuine elephant doody.  What a brilliant idea!  You can find out more about eco friendly PooPooPaper here.


Inside cover of my PooPoo Paper scratch pad

The love and memories that came with these gifts resides in my heart.  I believe it adds to and is part of the magic I create.

No comments:

Post a Comment